During the month of December, European countries come alive with the spirit of the holidays. Christmas Markets in Europe become a star attraction, especially in Germany, enticing visitors with their selections of holiday gifts and traditional food and drink set in festive market surrounds. Imagine the smells of roasting almonds and mulled wine wafting through the air on a cool winter evening as hundreds of fellow market-goers laugh and converse with loved ones. What fun!
For those travelers wishing to explore several of these markets while in Europe, Christmas market tours will give that ability in a short period of time, and with a qualified guide. Rose-Marie Cannemeijer-Dimitri, one of our Amsterdam-based private guides, offers several tour options during the Christmas markets season to nearby cities of Bruges, Brussels, Cologne and Valkenburg to name a few. Her 25 years guiding experience and ability to speak 6 languages fluently make her an excellent option for exploring the markets with a local’s insight.
Christmas Markets to Explore with Rose-Marie
Across Rose-Marie’s 1, 2 and 3 day tours, stops at Christmas Markets in the following cities are options: Bruges, Brussels, Cologne, Dusseldorf, Essen, Antwerp, Valkenburg, Ghent, and Aachen.
Some of the city highlights, as noted by Rose-Marie:
Cologne – A total of six Christmas markets can be found and explored in Cologne, along with Christmas concerts, nativity displays and a potential stop at the ice skating rink.
Bruges – This gothic city puts an old-time vibe in with the Christmas markets experience. Here it is also imperative to indulge in both chocolate and waffles (perhaps together) while walking along the cobblestone streets near the markets.
Valkenburg – Valkenburg is home to a special kind of Christmas Markets as they are the oldest and largest markets taking place in European caves!
Aachen – The destination is interesting for a Christmas Markets tour because the center of the star-shaped town is a cathedral – the same one where Charlemagne was crowned in 800.
Christmas Market Tour Options with Rose-Marie
The markets you visit with Rose-Marie from her base of Amsterdam will depend on the length of your travels together. Choose from varying options of 1, 2 or 3 days of travel.
1-Day Christmas Market Tours:
- Dusseldorf Christmas Market (Germany) – Available from November 21 to December 23, 2013.
- Brussels Christmas Market (Belgium) – Available from November 29 to January 6, 2014.
- Bruges Christmas Market (Belgium) – Available from November 22 to January 2, 2014.
- Valkenburg Christmas Market (Netherlands) – Available from November 15 to December 23, 2013.
** Belgium runs Christmas Markets through early January.
2-Day Christmas Market Tours:
- Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp Christmas Market Tours (Belgium)
- Dusseldorf and Essen Christmas Market Tours (Germany)
- Cologne and Dusseldorf Christmas Market Tours (Germany)
- Valkenburg and Maastricht (Netherlands) to Aachen (Germany) Christmas Market Tours
3-Day Christmas Market Tours:
- Valkenburg and Maastricht (Netherlands) to Aachen and Monschau (Germany)
- Rhine Valley tour, Cologne, Lorelei, Rudesheim and Cochem including a Rhine Cruise (Germany)
- Cologne and Aachen (Germany) to Bruges and Ghent (Belgium)
Happy travels, and happy holidays!
Read more about Christmas in Amsterdam
– Viator Travel Team